Behind The Lens: NYC 2021 Calendar

It's become tradition at Christmas time that I make a calendar of photos I've taken in NYC with my DSLR camera. Unfortunately due to COVID-19, I only visited the city a handful of times this year and didn't go taking pictures (besides a few quick shots with my iPhone). So for this year's calendar, I took some of my favorite past photos to create my NYC 2021 calendar.

COVER IMAGE - Columbus Ave, Broadway & The Lincoln Performing Arts Center

Okay so for this first cover image, it's actually a panoramic photo I took with my iPhone 7 (it's the one exception I made to the DSLR rule, at the behest of others). This view is from The Empire Hotel which we visited for my sister's birthday in 2018. It's a gorgeous view of New York, and you can see the Lincoln Performing Arts Center to the left.

JANUARY - Atlas, Rockefeller Center

This grand statue with the building towering behind it is an iconic location in NYC, and has appeared in multiple films. I took this at Christmas time in 2018 when we visited with some friends. Even though it was December 1st, it was PACKED all along 5th Avenue, but I managed to get this while we were shuffling through people, going from Central Park to see The Tree itself.

FEBRUARY - "Amor" on The High Line

I like to think that my family knew about The High Line before everyone else did. My dad took our family there and was explaining the history, and when I would tell someone else about it, they had no idea what I was talking about for years. "An elevated highway garden in the meatpacking district?" It's actually where I first took Rebecca when I was able to drive into the city on my own, and so is appropriate that it features the word "amor." The High Line is a cool experience already, but it stays interesting throughout the seasons; every time I visit, there's new artwork featured which always makes it different. Personally, I think the best time to go is the spring / summer, which is when this photo was taken in 2019.

MARCH - Cross Section of Broadway & Columbus Ave

This is taken from the same location as the cover image, but with my DSLR. I had just gotten my Canon Rebel T6i, and was excited to bring it to the top of The Empire Hotel. You see all the hustle and bustle of the city with pedestrians, cars, taxis, and rooftops. This picture captures this moment in time at this exact location, and yet you imagine what else must be going on as the city extends ever onwards as your eye follows the roads up.

APRIL - Times Square, dramatic edit

If you look closely, you can usually tell what era a photo of Times Square was taken in; the billboards and glowing signs are constantly updated, with some companies even folding as the years go on. If you look really close in this photo, you'll see the New Years Ball at the top with the year "2015", taken with my iPhone 5s, so a real throwback. Even though it's cold & dreary, there's still something to all the elements that pull you in; the people, the billboards, the colors, the atmosphere, the lack of space, which all add up to be Times Square.


MAY - View of the Empire State Building from The High Line

It was a gorgeous day on The High Line, and I wanted to take a photo that reflected the bright, vivid colors I was seeing that day. This photo successfully does that, with The Empire State Building peaking just behind the other buildings. There's a little walkway that extends out from the main walking area, which is where I took this photo. It's so interesting to still see some two and three storied buildings next to other skyscrapers. 

JUNE - Umberto's Clam House, Little Italy

The owner of this particular restaurant is a long time friend of my dad's. I've eaten here several times, and it also features some unique wall art on the outside (including Captain America which is right above it; his feet make it into the picture). A week or so after taking this photo, it was decked out in Christmas lights and garland. This image has some charming details to me that make it feel very Little Italy.

JULY - Chinatown Street Vendors

It was really cool to experience Chinatown as shops were beginning to open. Lots of fruit and food vendors opened their tables, as people came by to inspect and see what items they would purchase and walk home with. I love this shot as it conveys what it's like being in Chinatown, with the almost claustrophobic feel of all the signs, decorations, cars, people, and street vendors.

AUGUST - Skybridge, The High Line

In between all the action and artwork on The High Line, this pretty street in New York caught my eye as I was walking on The High Line. The clean, red bricks, along with the green trees show a peaceful, quiet side of New York. Sometimes driving on these one way streets is an experience similar to what you see in this picture; you'll be sitting there for longer than you want, and can't do anything about it.

SEPTEMBER - 9/11 Tribute In Light, Liberty State Park

Seeing the Tribute In Light is truly incredible. When I took this photo in 2018, it was my first time doing so in person after wanting to see it for years. This was the first year I had my Canon Rebel T6i, which could finally take photos at night. It's truly spectacular to look at, and although there are lots of others taking pictures with you as well, everyone has a sense of respect and allows you to get the shot you'd like. It's generally a serious tone as well, considering what we're honoring on this night.

OCTOBER - The Bow Bridge & The Lake, Central Park

I really, really wanted to include this picture in my NYC 2020 Calendar, so I'm very excited that I got to include it in this year's calendar. I originally went to Central Park that day for this exact shot, but chose a different one that I took while standing on the bridge for 2020. My sister and I always talk about taking photos of Central Park in the Fall, but you have to time it right; the trees don't change colors at the same rate as everywhere else. Thankfully, I was able to pull out some color in this photo. I love the juxtaposition of the lake & trees with the towering skyscrapers overhead.

NOVEMBER - Bethesda Fountain, Central Park

This is another photo I loved of Bethesda Fountain. This view is more of the traditional shot facing the front of the statue; last year I picked one from behind with an interesting effect created by how the sun was shining on it. In this photo, I love the crispness of the water, the details on the statue, and the background of autumn behind it all.

DECEMBER - Christmas at Bryant Park

I actually liked this photo more than the one I chose last year, so I am once again very excited to include it in this year's calendar. What do I love about this photo? The purple colors that tie together the Christmas Tree (one focal point) with the ice skating rink (the other focal point from the leading lines), the colors, the detail, and the juxtaposition of seeing the grandeur of New York City skyscrapers towering above the small details of everyday life, as small as wallets, jewelry & Christmas socks hanging up in the shops.

JANUARY 2022 - NBC Studios Rainbow Room, Rockefeller Center

A fun photo I took while walking that I thought actually came out pretty decent. This is right by Nintendo New York, one of the stops that my brother and I always make when we come around Christmas time (or really, any time we're in that area). At the end of the street is where I've sold some spray paintings before as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOTR On Prime: Timeline of The Second Age

WHO IS THE BEST BATMAN?

What Is Speaking In Tongues?