Behind The Lens: NYC 2020 Calendar

Every year I make a calendar of photos I've taken in NYC with my DSLR camera. New York City is one of my favorite places to be, and I like the challenge of not just using photos from my iPhone. My 2020 calendar is made up of photos I took in 2019 with my Canon Rebel T6i:

COVER IMAGE - Downtown NYC at Dusk from the Staten Island Ferry

I should just admit at this point that this is my favorite view of New York. I've had a version of it every single year. I drive through Staten Island, park for just a few bucks, and then take the Staten Island Ferry for free into New York, and every single time I'm in awe. What I love about this shot is how crisp it is, and how on the left side you can see the skyscrapers of the Hudson Yards now beginning to take shape. Also notice the digital billboard on the boat near the bottom of the Freedom Tower.

JANUARY - Long Island City Train at Queensboro Plaza

As my brother-in-law put it, this shot is very "Long Island." It's a famous view of New York from the Queensboro Plaza Station that he originally told me about (ironically, it was used incorrectly referring to Chicago in a documentary I watched recently). I had to step pretty close to the edge to get this shot; I was waiting around a while for another train to pass, and this one woman was standing in the way...but it's New York, how else would it go down?

FEBRUARY - The Chrysler Building from Tudor City Place Bridge

This is a beautiful shot I once saw on Instagram and knew I wanted to recreate it. It's on the East Side in a quiet neighborhood on a small, elevated bridge, with a view of the United Nations Building on the other side. I placed it in February because the trees didn't have any green on them. I plan to go back and get the same shot with the vivid greens.

MARCH - Empire at Night from The Indigo Hotel

Seeing the city lit up like this is always beautiful to me, and is most likely when you'll find yourself in the City That Never Sleeps. My previous DSLR had no ability to take night photos, so I was very excited to get this picture of New York at night. We stayed overnight here for Rebecca's 30th and met up with friends and family to celebrate, and I was just amazed by the view. It's cool to see not only the lights, but how the buildings go from shorter to taller and darker to brighter as you approach the Empire State Building, Midtown, and beyond.

APRIL - The Top of Two Bridges Neighborhood

I drove in this day to get a specific shot from the Manhattan Bridge, but made a whole day of it for myself. Part of the fun was discovering all these other places along the way. The grunge of the city is front and center in this photo, with the Freedom Tower hovering just overhead to remind you where you are. The layout of the rooftops makes me think of a Batman game.

MAY - Times Square at Twilight

I've wanted a shot of Times Square at twilight for years; the brilliant billboard lights are on display, yet you can still see the changing colors of the sky. Honestly it didn't come out the way I initially pictured, but it perfectly conveys the feeling of being there in person. Also there's just something to the feeling here, with the woman taking photos on the right, framed by the ad watching her on the left. And no, this was not New Years Eve.

JUNE - View of Downtown from The Manhattan Bridge

I had seen this shot in the past and could never figure out where it was taken from, but I discovered it by accident as I was walking up the Manhattan Bridge towards Brooklyn. The shapes and perspectives, vivid colors, both the old buildings and the new, and of course the Freedom Tower, topped off with how I found it makes this perhaps my favorite photograph in this calendar. New York just looks so grand.

JULY - View of FDR Drive from The Manhattan Bridge

This is the specific shot I was looking for that day. It took me close to two hours to walk across The Manhattan Bridge, but only because it seemed that every few feet was a new angle and perspective looking at the city that I had to photograph. It was brilliantly sunny out, and once I made it to Brooklyn I found a great taco place that I favorited for the future. Next time I want this picture at sunset.

AUGUST - View of The Manhattan Bridge from Brooklyn

This is one of the most iconic shots from Brooklyn, and of NYC in general. The bright sunny day and vivid colors really make this photo pop. I took a ton of shots from different angles, none of them straight on at first, because I was waiting for people to clear out of the way so I could finally get my turn in the middle of the street. Once I realized that wasn't going to happen (it's New York), I finally just walked in the middle of the street and didn't care whose photo I might be bombing. Obviously, I'd say it was worth it; it's my other favorite photo this year. Also, notice The Empire State Building out in the distance towards the bottom.

SEPTEMBER - The Feast of San Gennaro

This feast takes place every September in New York for 11 days. Every couple of years I make it out, and it's always a ton of fun (albeit more crowded each time). In fact, my family has a few random connections here in Little Italy...as well as some memories I've made in the last few years. There are little shops to visit, so much food to eat, and memories to be made here. That's exactly why I picked this photo too; not only does it represent the feel perfectly, but you're seeing a real memory be made by the kid on his dad's shoulders.

OCTOBER - The Lake at Central Park

I really wanted a photo of Central Park in the Fall, and I really wanted one of The Bow Bridge; this ended up being a photo of Central Park while standing on The Bow Bridge. I had just gotten my wide angle lens in the mail (a Christmas present that I just wanted to "test out" that day), and it captured this image. The spacing of the rowboats, fall foliage, and towering skyscrapers behind it all inhabit a fun, fall day at Central Park in the city.

NOVEMBER - Bethesda Fountain

This is another autumn photo of Central Park. Rebecca and I had spent some time simply enjoying the day, listening to some musicians jam, eating food and soaking up the sun while I was taking pictures throughout the park. This one of the fountain is a less traditional shot, and while it's a little washed out, it's still compelling with how the sun hits the statue and makes the water sparkle so clearly.

DECEMBER - Christmas Ornaments & Radio City Music Hall

If I owned any piece of New York real estate it'd be on 6th Ave. My first time spray painting in the city was here (and I've returned to this spot several times since), my brother worked in a skyscraper for a few years here, and it's where I got Rebecca's engagement ring and both of our wedding bands. Of course, I've been here for almost every Christmas (and you can't forget that Nintendo World is around the corner). So many Christmas and life memories have been made here, and to me, the warmth of Christmas and grandeur of the city are both captured in this photograph.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOTR On Prime: Timeline of The Second Age

WHO IS THE BEST BATMAN?

What Is Speaking In Tongues?