Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith was the first Star Wars movie I had ever seen in theaters.  And Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens will be the second.

I’m not really sure which Star Wars movie I saw first.  I remember watching bits and pieces as a kid, but eventually watching the entire Original Trilogy in order.  Being that I was so young and it was common knowledge, I don’t really remember being shocked by Darth Vader revealing he was Luke’s father.  But either way, by the time I was in middle school, I loved Star Wars.

What really did it in for me was when Attack of the Clones was in theaters.  I was in third grade, and everyone was talking about it.  I wasn’t super into Star Wars yet, but even the girls I was friends with were talking about the movie.  My best friend promised that we would go see it together, and he kept talking it up.  We never actually went, but the more he talked about it, the more I wanted to go.

Eventually I bought Attack of the Clones on DVD, my love of the Original Trilogy (and my dad’s obligatory respect for the movies) enabling me to do so.  And I loved it.  I know that it’s regarded as one of the worst, and objectively speaking I would have to agree, but something about watching any Star Wars movie as a kid…it sticks with you.

I memorized that movie.  Every scene.  Every line.  I just loved it.  Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Padme.  Their adventures.  The lightsaber fights.  The vehicles, the story…all of it.

Needless to say, my excitement for Episode III: Revenge of the Sith was huge.  I got the Original Trilogy DVD Box Set for Christmas, and it came with bonus features about the upcoming Episode III.  I watched it a million times.  It showed Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen sparring, some of the worlds they were building…I was dying to watch it.  I would talk with my friends, what I thought would happen in the movie, what I knew was going to happen…I was beyond excited.

I watched Episode III in theaters for my friend’s birthday party in seventh grade.  And it was amazing.  Some highlights of the movie:
         -The opening sequence.
         -The overall action.
         -Obi-Wan and Anakin.
         -The Clone Wars.
         -The lightsaber battles.
         -Anakin [Vader] marching on the Jedi Temple.

Even then, in my first viewing as a seventh grader, I was still able to recognize some of the worse parts of the movie.
         -Terrible dialogue, especially between Padme and Anakin.
-Terrible acting, especially when Anakin tells Mace of Palpatine’s true nature.
-Anakin’s rushed fall to The Dark Side.
-Scene of Anakin’s rebirth as Darth Vader…was quite disappointing.
-Chewbacca and Kashyyyk feeling more out of place than a nod to the Original Trilogy.

Other hopes I had for the movie:
         -To see Boba Fett doing something
         -A fight between Vader and Yoda
         -More of Darth Vader in the suit

Although the Prequel Trilogy is certainly of a lesser caliber than the Original Trilogy, I still have a connection with Episodes II and III.  Attack of the Clones solidified my love for Star Wars, and Episode III was the culmination of it.  So even though they aren’t that great, I still have a great love for them.

And now, The Force Awakens.

I was beginning to believe that this film would be flawless.  But I’ve realized I have to let go of that hope just a little bit.  While I’m positive it will be much better critically and cinematically than the Prequel Trilogy, there’s something about the Star Wars movies you first see as a kid.  Those are the ones you form a connection to.  It’s why so many of the people who grew up with the Original Trilogy completely hate the Prequel Trilogy.

For me, while I can honestly admit the Prequel Trilogy doesn’t measure up to the Original Trilogy, I still view it as 100% Star Wars in every way.  I just grew up with it.



But that doesn’t change my excitement level for Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens at all.  I don’t think it could be higher!  In just a few days…I’ll find out if it was worth it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOTR On Prime: Timeline of The Second Age

WHO IS THE BEST BATMAN?

What Is Speaking In Tongues?